The recipe for Zimtsterne begins at 1:39 of the video.
German Cinnamon Star Cookies / ZimtsterneCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Beginner
A German Christmas cookie made from egg whites, sugar, and ground almonds and flavored with cinnamon. This recipe is naturally gluten free.
500 g ground almonds (4 1/2 cups)
300 g powdered sugar (2 3/4 cups)
2 egg whites
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp almond liqueur, such as Amaretto
1 egg white
125 g powdered sugar (heaping cup)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ground almonds, powdered sugar, and cinnamon.
- Either by hand or with a mixer, mix in the egg whites and almond liqueur until a crumbly dough forms.
- Using your hands, knead the dough until it becomes smooth. Cover and refrigerate while making the glaze.
- For the glaze, beat 1 egg white until stiff peaks form. Then beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Roll out a section of the dough onto a surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Roll out the dough until it is 1 cm or 1/2 inch thick. Using a small 6 pointed star cookie cutter, cut out star shaped cookies.
- With a pastry brush, brush each star with the glaze and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. The cookies can be placed pretty close together because they won’t spread during baking.
- Bake in a 190C/375F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Be careful not to let the glaze brown. It should remain mostly white with some tinge of golden along the edges. Place on a rack to cool and enjoy when at room temperature. Guten appetit and frohe Weihnachten!
Products used in the video (affiliate links below)