Recipe for Mandelhörnchen begins at 13:19 of the video.
German Almond Horn Cookies / MandelhörnchenCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Intermediate
A German Christmas cookie made with a shortcrust dough with ground almonds. Topped with sliced almonds and dipped in chocolate.
250 g all-purpose flour (heaping 2 cups)
125 g ground almonds (1 1/4 cups)
125 g sugar (3/4 cup)
1/4 tsp baking powder
200 grams unsalted, softened butter (2/3 cup)
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 packet vanilla sugar
- For decorating
1 egg white
125 g sliced almonds (3/4 cup)
100 g dark chocolate (5 oz)
- To a mixer (or by hand), cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Then add the egg yolks and mix until fully combined. Then add in the flour, baking powder, and almond flour. Mix just until a dough forms.
- Roll out your dough into a log and then, taking small pieces, roll out crescent shapes. Place the crescents on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush a lightly beaten egg white over the middle part of each crescent and lightly press on the almond slices onto the center part of the cookie.
- Bake in a 190C/375F preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until just golden around the edges. Keep an eye on the baking cookies because they burn very easily.
- Place on a rack to cool and let come to room temperature before the next step.
- Gently melt your chocolate either in a double boiler on the stove or in the microwave. Dip the ends of each cookie in the melted chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes to let the chocolate harden. Transfer to a platter and enjoy. Guten appetit and frohe Weihnachten!