Advocaat is a liqueur from the Netherlands made by mixing egg yolks and alcohol. It’s often compared to eggnog but is much boozier tasting. It’s a very simple drink to make and will last a couple of months in the fridge, so it’s a perfect Christmas gift. It can be enjoyed in mixed drinks, by itself, or in baked goods. Below is the recipe for Advocaat and then an idea for using it in an Italian mixed coffee drink called a bombardino calimero. Click this link for a printable recipe for the bombardino calimero.
Advocaat / Egg Liqueur & How to Use ItCuisine: DutchDifficulty: Beginner
A Dutch liqueur made from egg yolks
10 egg yolks
250 grams sugar / 1 1/4 cups
pinch of grated nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 packet vanilla sugar
1 can (397g/14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 liter good quality vodka or brandy
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and sweetened condensed milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Using an immersion blender, slowly pour the vodka into the egg mixture and blend until the sugar is fully dissolved. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Pour the Advocaat into air-tight bottles and store in the refrigerator for two weeks before using. Shake the bottles occasionally during the two weeks to make sure everything stays combined.
- Vodka or brandy can be used to make this drink. Make sure to use high quality alcohol for optimal results.
- A printable recipe for the bombardino calimero, an Italian coffee drink made with Advocaat, can be found at this link: http://bakeacrosseurope.com/2019/09/16/bombardino-calimero-italian-coffee-drink-with-advocaat/
Leave a Reply